Friday, April 8, 2011

Coronado Flower Show

        Come see the largest tented flower show in the Western United States at the Coronado Flower Show this coming weekend.  Saturday, April 16, 1pm - 5pm and Sunday, April 17, 10am - 4pm at Coronado's Spreckels Park. 
        This is my favorite flower show for a couple of reasons.  First is the diversity of entries.  I will be entering everything from succulents to salvias to roses.  The Coronado Flower Show also has kids entries, table decor, shadow boxes and dazzling floral arrangements. 
        The second reason is the history of the show.  Four generations of garden enthusuiasts have been bringing their entries to Spreckels Park.  I first entered the Coronado Flower Show in 1973 with a cute little animal made out of potatoes and other food items.  Now my entries are a little snazzier as you can tell from the Marilyn Monroe Rose photo I posted earlier in the month.
        The trophies are all perpetual, with the past winners' names engraved on the trophy.  I always get a chill whenever I win a trophy and find my mother's name among the past winners.  My mom is still a force at the show.  The camellia photos below are from her garden.  A few years ago the two of us won 9 trophies.  Last year, my daughter, age 7 at the time, won her first flower show trophy.  So come on down and see which Kalal wins the hardware this year.
http://www.coronadoflowershow.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment