Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Nursery Review - Walter Andersen Nurseries

         Some people collect stamps, others collect beanie babies, but some of us just have to collect that next really cool plant.  For plant junkies like me, there is no better nursery than Walter Andersen Nursery in Poway and Point Loma.  Founded in 1928, the nursery in Point Loma has been run by the Andersen family for all 82 years of its existence. In 1996 the family added the second location in Poway.
          I love Andersen Nurseries for 2 reasons.  First, they have an amazing selection of plants.  I love salvias and they always have a tremendous variety of these wonderful hummingbird plants.  They also have spectacular selections of Camellias, Roses, California Natives (3 different types of Cleveland Sage alone), and fruit trees.
          I mentioned that there are 2 reasons I love Walter Andersen Nurseries.  The first is the plant selection.  The second is the service and here is an example.  I was with a client in Andersen last week to pick out small fruit trees for my client’s new mini orchard.  I had designed an orchard that was about 55’ long by 6’ wide and decided that 6 small fruit trees could fit in that area.  My client & I met with Greg Steffen at the Andersen location in Poway.  Greg listened carefully as my client talked about the type of fruit she was interested in, the growing environment and her desire to have some type of fruit all year around.  Walter Andersen Nurseries sells over 200 varieties of fruit trees and Greg did a great job of picking the best 6 for my client.  It is that type of outstanding service that has been a hallmark of Walter Andersen Nurseries for 3 generations.  By the way, here are the fruit trees picked for my client’s garden in Tierrasanta; Dwarf Little Cado Avocado, Dwarf Algerian Tangerine, Desert Delight Nectarine, Eva’s Pride Peach, Dwarf  Midnight Valencia Orange, and a Dwarf Meyer Lemon.  Here is their info;

Walter Andersen Nurseries

Pt. Loma

3642 Enterprise St
San Diego, CA 92110
(619) 224-8271

Poway

12755 Danielson Court
Poway, CA 92064
(858) 513-4900

No comments:

Post a Comment